Saint Andrew’s School, Inc. or Saint Andrew’s School (SAS)is a privateCatholicparochial school of the Cathedral Parish of St. Andrew and managed by the Diocese of Parañaque. It is located in Parañaque, Metro Manila, Philippines. The school offers Primary Grade School (toddler, nursery, kinder, grades 1 to 3), Middle Grade School (grades 4-6), Junior High School (grades 7-10), Senior High School (grades 11-12; STEM, ABM, HUMSS) and Special Education.
St. Andrew Parish was established by the Augustinian missionaries who landed in a fishery village during the Spanish era in the Philippines to evangelize and spread Christianity to the land. These missionary friars ministered over Palanyag for almost four hundred years.
After the Augustinians came the missionaries of the Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae (CICM), otherwise known as the Congregation of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.Rev. Fr. Joseph “Pare Jose” Van Runckelen, born at Kortenaken, April 16, 1883, was assigned as parish priest of St. Andrew Parish in October 1915. With the donations and help from the people of Belgium, Fr. Van Runckelen established the said school on June 27, 1917, and titled it after Saint Andrew, the patron of the parish. Incorporated in his newly established elementary school were four of his colleagues from CICM. One of the first teachers in the school is Eleuterio de Leon who had been Mayor of Parañaque.
In 1932, Fr. Van Runckelen expanded the school, and with Mrs. Gloria Aspillera-Quintos, he founded the high school department. The new department started with 32 students (20 boys and 12 girls) and ended up to seven (four boys and three girls); moreover, the seven were the first high school graduates dubbed as The Magnificent Seven.
Upon the demise of Fr. Van Runckelen († Parañaque, October 24, 1934), Rev. Fr. Antonio Van Overveld took over as head of St. Andrew’s School from 1934 to 1937. In his period, the school was relocated from the original, which is present site of St. Paul College of Parañaque, to the Parañaque convent building, where the school is presently located.
After Fr. Van Overveld, Rev. Fr. Adolfo Cansse became school director from 1937 to 1952.