Thomas Lumby and William Lumby (c1755-1804) were master carpenters and architects working in Lincoln in the latter part of the 18th century. Thomas Lumby was the father of William. As they worked together and there is some confusion as which buildings each of them designed, they have been grouped together. It seems likely that after 1784, William Lumby had taken the business over from his father. Thomas Lumby undertook work at a number of major houses in Lincolnshire including Doddington Hall and Burghley House as well as building Caenby Hall and Corporation House (now the Exchange at Boston, Lincolnshire.
Thomas Lumby was highly recommended in 1775 by James Essex to the Bishop of Lincoln for his work, but in the same year he was declared bankrupt. In 1776-9 Thomas and William Lumby were working closely with Essex on the re-fitting of the interior of the Cathedral including woodwork and the re-positioning of the altar rails. By 1781 Thomas Lumby appears to have moved to Stamford, where he was acting as architect and surveyor for the 9th Earl of Exeter. In 1793, William Lumby succeeded William Jepson the Clerk to fabric and surveyor of Cathedral following Jepson’s death. By this time Lumby was working closely with Edward James Willson, who provides much information about Lumby. Lumby probably trained Willson as an architect and Willson succeeded Lumby as the Clerk to the fabric of the Cathedral. Willson recounts that William Lumby was of a very ingenious turn of mind, mild and gentle. He died at Greatford near Stamford on 18 August 1804, before the age of 50, after falling into a low and nervous state of health, which almost rendered him incapable of attending to business. William Lumby provided drawings for Richard Gough for the revision of the Lincoln section of Camden’s Britannia which was published in 1806. These include a survey of Lincoln Castle with detailed drawings the West Gate and the barbican to the East Gate, which was demolished shortly afterwards. Also a plan of the grave slabs in the Cathedral before the floor was repaved and detailed drawings of the Roman aqueduct to the North East of Lincoln. Lumby also drew the plan and elevations of the Lincoln Cathedral which were published by the Society of Antiquaries in Vetusta Monumenta in 1791.
- Doddington Hall 1761-2. Internal alterations for Sir John Hussey Deveral, including a new staircase, and refitting the principal rooms.
- Caenby Hall 1763-4. Built for Lawrence Monck. Late Georgian. two storeys, parapet and hipped roof. Six bays with Now demolished, c.1775.
- The Exchange, formerly Market House, Market Place, Boston, Lincolnshire, 1770-4.
- Work at Stamford and Burghley House for the Earl of Exeter. Included terraces of houses in Ironmonger Row and in 1781 the connection to the Grand Staircase at Burghley House.