The most convenient airports are:
- 1 London Heathrow Airport (LHR IATA) is about 75 mi (121 km) drive from Salisbury via the M25 (anti-clockwise), M3 (southbound), A303, A346 and A30. There is a Railair coach service to Woking station, where mainline trains to Salisbury can be boarded; two services an hour give a journey time of just over two hours for the whole journey. National Express also offer several coaches a day from Heathrow to Salisbury.
- 1 London Gatwick Airport (LGW IATA) is about 100 mi (160 km) drive from Salisbury via the M23 (northbound), M25 (clockwise), M3 (southbound), A303, A346 and A30. By train, catch a London bound train which stops at Clapham Junction (note that the heavily advertised Gatwick Express does not stop there) from the airport rail station, and change at Clapham Junction for a service to Salisbury; two services an hour give a journey time of just under two hours for the whole journey.
Regional Airports nearby include:
- 1 Southampton Airport (SOU IATA) is about 25 mi (40 km) away, and is probably the easiest to access, both by car and train. Driving is simple – to get to Salisbury, take the M27 (westbound) towards Bournemouth, then exit at J2 onto the A36 towards Salisbury. Southampton Airport Parkway train station is at the airport terminal. There is one direct train an hour from the station to Salisbury, taking just under an hour or alternatively travel via Romsey, with total journey time varying between 45 minutes to an hour. The X7 Bus for Salisbury leaves from Outside Southampton Central Station regularly.
- 1 Bournemouth Airport (BOH IATA) is also 25 miles away. It is an easy drive – the A338 Bournemouth – Salisbury road takes you all the way. However public transport links to the airport are poor, and you should get a taxi from Ringwood or Bournemouth – the X3 bus links Bournemouth, Ringwood and Salisbury every half hour. Bournemouth airport is mostly served by charter flights, and a small number of short-haul scheduled flights.
- 1 Bristol Airport (BRS IATA) is about 60 mi (97 km) from Salisbury, and is the only nearby regional airport with daily services to the USA. Many other short-haul destinations also have frequent flights from here. A frequent coach service (3 per hour) links the airport with Bristol Temple Meads station, which provides onward train connections to Salisbury (destination Southampton or Portsmouth). Through tickets are available. Driving is a little more complex, and you are advised to get a good map or good directions.